Facebook will have new video options, plus an improved vertical video, and a TV application. Auto play videos will now be switched to ‘sound on’ by default – this new feature has the most immediate impact among Facebook’s recent announcements. Listed below are Facebook’s latest features.
- Videos in your News Feed will now auto play with sound on by default
- That’s right! Videos will start playing with sound on right in the News Feed. However, you will still be able to switch the default back to sound off for all auto play video content through your settings or by turning your phone into silent mode.
- Vertical Video Improvements
- Vertical videos will easily expand to full screen. Find your place more easily on the video you’re watching with the new progress bar and thumbnail. The new vertical video format is now available on both Android and iOS.
- “Watch and Scroll”
- As explained by Facebook: “We know that sometimes you want to watch a video and also want to keep scrolling through your News Feed. It’s now possible to minimize the video you’re watching to a picture-in-picture view that keeps playing in the corner of your screen while you browse other stories in News Feed.”
- You will now be able to drag the video to the corner of your screen and continue to keep watching while you browse other stories in your News Feed.
- Facebook Video App for TV
- This is going to be a new app rolling out soon for Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Samsung Smart TV - and more platforms to come. It is a new TV app that would enable users to watch Facebook video on bigger screens.
- As stated by Facebook, “Our video app for TV is a new way to enjoy Facebook videos on a bigger screen. Last year we rolled out the ability for you to stream videos from Facebook to your TV, and today’s announcement expands this capability. With the app, you can watch videos shared by friends or Pages you follow, top live videos from around the world, and recommended videos based on your interests.”
Source: Hutchinson, A. (2017, February 15.) Facebook Announces New Video Options, Including Improved Vertical Video and TV App. Social Media Today. Retrieved from http://www.socialmediatoday.com/social-business/facebook-announces-new-video-options-including-improved-vertical-video-and-tv-app.